Dating

Monday, March 2, 2009

Kiasu-ism at its Kiasu-est

Being in Kiasuland, I am always prepared be to astounded by the Kiasu-ness of the Kiasunites. Nothing prepared me for what happened when I was grocery shopping one fine morning. It was a really jaw-dropping, never-to-be-seen (hopefully) scenario.

I was beginning to get tired of grocery shopping on a daily basis. That fine morning, I told myself that I would get enough 'stock' to last for at least a couple of days... and so, I got myself a pushcart, which I normally don't, as it can be quite a hassle to wheel it round a jammed-packed supermarket. Anyway, there I was trying to push the cart and at the same time trying to be considerate as not to block others from shopping.

Here come the 3 stooges. Three stooges - cos it was a family of 3. There is Papa Stooge, Mama Stooge and a teenage SYT Stooge. Let's leave teenage SYT Stooge out of da picture cos she was basically non-existance in the following conversation that took place.


Location: In a beverage aisle where the width of the aisle can accommodate 2 wheelcarts be pushed parallelly. Unfortunately, a stack of stock was placed along the aisle and thus blocking a portion of the aisle.

Papa Stooge 'parked' his pushcart SMACK, RIGHT NEXT TO THE PILE OF STOCK and decided to STOP right there to check out what the sales promoter had just push in.


Papa Stooge (talking to the sales promoter): Hey! A new stock of Milo had just arrived. Are they new stock?

Sales Promoter: Yep... Just arrived.

Papa Stooge: But the shelf is already fully filled with Milo.

Sales Promoter: Yes. But it will clear very fast due to promotion. (There was a promotion going for Milo - cheaper by a few dollars).

Papa Stooge: Hey, Mama Stooge! Check the expiry on that cart and see when is it due. Ours is due in 2011. (They have obliviously taken a can of it)

Sales Promoter: Those on the shelves are newer stock.

Mama Stooge: It is due in 2010.

All this was taking place while the Stooges were blocking the entire aisle.

Papa Stooge (to Sales Promoter): I thought you said THIS is new stock. How come the expiry is earlier than those on the shelves? Then this is NOT new stock. You shouldn't say it is new stock.

Then Papa Stooge, Mama Stooge and teenage SYT Stooge, ALL walked away disgusted.

Me? I just stood there and witnessed the entire Kiasu show.

Why? Cos I stuck unable to cross that darn aisle. I can't turn around cos it was a jammed-packed supermarket, REMEMBER!

1 comment: